Exchanging your council home

Can I exchange my property?

To be able to exchange your property, you must:

  • be a secure and flexible council tenant or an assured tenant from a Housing Association
  • ensure you do not have a court order or a notice to quit for either rent arrears or anti-social behaviour
  • have a clear rent account 
  • make sure that the homes to be swapped are the correct size for the people living in them. For example, a single person or couple with no dependents will not be able to exchange to a house. This would only be suitable for families. However, if a flat with one extra bedroom has been found, the single person or couple may be considered.
  • give consent for the exchange if you are a landlord. This includes those that are not part of  the council
  • provide medical proof that you need a property with adaptations if that is what you are applying for

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page