Get advice about paying your rent

If you are struggling to pay your rent or have rent arrears, you must not ignore the problem. There is help and advice available if you are struggling to pay.

Claiming benefits may help you to reduce your financial burden. If you are not claiming benefits already, check online if you are eligible to claim Universal Credit or Housing Benefit.

We can help you with any problems you may be having with claiming benefits, and with budgeting and general money advice.

To get his help, you need to make an enquiry to your Neighbourhood Housing Officer.

You can also seek further advice about benefits, budgeting and other housing matters from the following organisations:

What happens if you don't pay your rent

If you're in rent arrears, we will contact you to offer help. We will discuss:

  • the reason(s) for rent arrears
  • your financial circumstances
  • your entitlement to benefits
  • repayment of the arrears

If you ignore our guidance and do not make any payment arrangements, we will send you a warning letter about clearing your arrears.

If you do not take action again, you will receive a legal notice. You need to pay your arrears within a specified time stated in this notice notice. The time period depends on the tenancy agreement you have.

If you still do not pay your arrears within the specified time, your case will go to court. This means you:

  • will need to attend the court hearing and pay the court costs
  • may be evicted from your home
  • will not be able to bid for another home until you pay your debts, or you may be completely from bidding

To avoid this situation, we recommend that you make an enquiry to your Neighbourhood Housing Officer or get in contact with an advice agency.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page