Exchanging your council home

What is a mutual exchange?

When two or more tenants want to exchange their properties, this is known as a mutual exchange or a home swap. You can only do this after you have been given consent by a relevant landlord. You must also have an agreed date to sign documents and move house.

You cannot move into an empty home. Each tenant must move into the other tenants home, 'swapping' the properties at the same time.

You can use the following options to help find a suitable exchange:

  • Register for free with the homeswapper website. This website lists properties throughout the country so you can move locally or further away. This how you can apply once you have found an exchange partner.
  • Follow social media, for example, Facebook
  • Place cards in shop windows
  • Talk to friends and colleagues

Please note:

It is your responsibility to make arrangements to view any property considered for exchange. This is very important because when you exchange you are agreeing to take the property in its present condition, which may mean taking on responsibility for alterations that an existing tenant has carried out. Once you submit your exchange request, we will assume that you have already viewed each other’s properties and that you want to exchange with each other.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page