Exchanging your council home

When two or more tenants want to exchange their properties, this is known as a mutual exchange or a home swap. You can only do this after you have been given consent by a relevant landlord. You must also have an agreed date to sign documents and move house.

You cannot move into an empty home. Each tenant must move into the other tenants home - 'swapping' the properties.

You can use the following options to help find a suitable exchange:

  • Register for free with the Homeswapper website. This website lists properties throughout the country so you can move locally or further away
  • Follow on social media, for example, Facebook 
  • Place cards in shop windows 
  • Talk to friends and colleagues


Was this information helpful?

Help us improve swindon.gov.uk

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.