Council housing handbook

Complaints, feedback and procedures

Chapter 10: Complaints, feedback and procedures

Making a complaint

If we're not delivering our housing services to you properly, you have the right to complain. We will do our best to put things right and prevent them happening again.

We have a tenant complaints panel that are trained to hear a complaint when the tenant feels that it has not been answered satisfactorily.

There are two steps before the tenant complaints panel becomes involved:

Stage 1 - Local resolution

You initially make a complaint to the council. The best way to do this is via the website: Complaints and feedback 

The complaint will initially be handled by a senior member of the Housing team and you will usually receive a response in ten working days.

Stage 2 - Referral to Housing service area manager

If you are not happy with the response you receive, you can escalate your complaint to the service area manager for Housing. They will investigate and respond within 20 working days.

Taking a complaint further

If you are not satisfied with our response to your stage 2 complaint you can refer your complaint directly to the Housing Ombudsman Service, they may be able to investigate how we dealt with the matter. You can also go directly to the Housing Ombudsman Service at any stage of your complaint for advice and support.

Contact details for the Housing Ombudsman Service:

Giving feedback

Besides complaints, we want to hear when we've done something well, and get your general feedback about improving our services. See: Complaints and feedback

Freedom of Information

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 gives a general right of access to all types of recorded information held by public authorities. It sets out some exemptions from that right, and imposes a number of other obligations on public authorities.

See the webpage: Make a Freedom of Information request

Your privacy

Our Privacy Notice helps you understand what information we collect, why we collect it, how we use and share it, and how you can update, manage, and delete it. You can read the full notice on our website: Housing services Privacy Notice

See the webpage: Make a Subject Access Request to see your personal information

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page