Pay your council rent

What happens if I don't pay my rent?

If you cannot pay your rent, you must contact your Neighbourhood Housing Officer before things get worse. The sooner you talk to us, the sooner we can help.

If you fall behind in your rent and you do not contact us, we will attempt to contact you. If you do not talk to us and your arrears continue to increase, we will need to consider legal action. This means you will probably have court costs, in excess of £300, to pay. You may also be evicted from your home. You will then be unable to bid on homes advertised on Swindon Homebid until your debts are repaid. You may even be excluded from applying altogether.

A court application can only start after you have been given legal notice. You must always pay the rent and charges you owe, or contact us to make a suitable arrangement after you have had notice. If you don't do this, we may need to refer your case to court after four weeks.

If you are referred to court, we strongly advise you to get legal advice from one of the services below. You will be asked to attend the court hearing which will take place in a District Judges office. At the short five minute hearing, you will be given the opportunity to explain your case.

Advice agencies

You can contact the following agencies for advice on housing matters and all areas of benefit and debt advice.

Citizens Advice Swindon
0344 499 4114
(Between 10.00am and 12.30pm)

Wiltshire Law Centre
01793 486926

Shearer & Co. Solicitors
01249 657744



Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.