Get a concessionary bus pass

For information on who qualifies for concessionary travel and details on how to prove your entitlement, please see the following document:

The Council is not liable to reimburse any costs incurred from applicants in proving entitlement.

How to apply

Apply for Concessionary Travel online

Alternatively, download and complete the relevant form below:

Once complete, take the form to the Council's One-Stop-Shop in Wat Tyler House, Beckhampton Street or send it, along with a passport-sized photograph (head and shoulders shot) to:

         Concessionary Travel Office
         Civic Offices
         Euclid Street
         SN1 2JH

Please Note:

  • Applications, by any means, will only be accepted up to a maximum of 21 days before the date you become eligible for your bus pass.
  • If you apply in person to Swindon Direct you will need to take with you your proof of entitlement. Your photograph will be taken free of charge and a pass will be ordered and sent to your home address.
  • If you apply on-line or by post when your pass is ready, you will need to collect it in person and show your proof of entitlement.
  • The information you provide within this application is subject to the requirements of the Data Protection Act.
  • We keep a copy of all concessionary pass holders photograph to enable future ID cards to be printed.
  • Photographs can be updated by e-mail or at Swindon Direct One Stop Shop as required.

How to collect your pass

You will be notified when your pass is ready to collect and you will need to collect it in person. Please remember to bring your proof of entitlement with you when you collect your pass. See the Concessionary Travel Information leaflet for details of proofs that need to be shown.

If you are unable to collect it within 14 days from being notified, please let us know otherwise your pass will be cancelled and you will need to reapply.

Lost, stolen or damaged bus passes

If you lose or damage your bus pass e-mail or call 01793 445500. A new Bus Pass can be issued but you will need to pay £5. Cheques should be made payable to Swindon Borough Council. Your pass will be sent to you within 10 working days. In the interim you will have to pay for your bus travel.

If your bus pass is stolen please e-mail or call 01793 445500. We will replace your pass free of charge. You will need to supply us with a crime reference number (which will be supplied by the police when you report the theft).


Ticket machines on local bus services throughout the South West will indicate if a Concessionary Travel Pass is not valid for travel. This will only affect a small number of pass holders.

Your pass may be hotlisted:

  • If you have informed the Council that the pass had been lost or stolen.
  • If it had previously been used fraudulently.
  • If you are no longer entitled to concessionary travel.

All of these passes would have been cancelled and now the ticket machines have been updated, it will show the pass is not valid even though the end date on the pass has not yet been reached.

If you do not have a valid pass you will have to pay for your bus travel. If your bus pass is hotlisted please email or call 01793 445500. If you need a replacement pass there is normally a £5 charge for this service.

Companion allowance

A companion allowance is available for people who would not normally be able to travel without assistance. To be eligible for a companion allowance you will need to be:

  • Aged 80 years or over
  • Children (between the ages of 5-16) who receive DLA for children
  • Disability Living Allowance – Care component
  • Attendance Allowance

Any other customer who requires companion travel must provide documentary evidence to prove eligibility.

Further information and advice

Please see the Concessionary Bus Travel leaflet (PDF) for more information.

If you have chosen to have Mobility Vouchers (Option 2), you can download a list of Taxi and Private Hire Operators (PDF) who accept them.

Further information on Concessionary Travel is also available on the website.

Last updated: 18 May 2017. Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.