Aids and adaptations to your council home

Housing can assist in making your home more suitable to live in and can enable you to manage more independently. To do this, an Occupational Therapist carries out an assessment and identifies any necessary adaptations and equipment to meet the individuals requirements.

To request an assessment by an Occupational Therapist please contact Careline on 0800 08566 66.

Types of adaptations

The types of adaptations that may be available are:

Minor adaptations

  • Grab rails
  • Lever taps
  • Equipment such as bath hoists or shower seats may also be provided.

Some requests for minor adaptations (such as an additional grab rail) can be made directly with Housing.

Major adaptations

  • Access ramps
  • Doorways widened
  • Lower kitchen surfaces and cupboards
  • Stair lifts
  • Wet rooms

In some cases a building surveyor will also need to be consulted to ensure that the required alterations are structurally possible and financially viable. This may also include the recommendation to be re-housed into more suitable accommodation.

Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.