Council Tax discount
Complete a Council Tax discount review
Swindon Borough Council is presently undertaking a review of single person discounts to ensure our records are accurate and up to date. You will recently have been sent notification of this review either by email or letter. Please select the link below and complete the form in order to confirm your circumstances.
Council Tax is based on two adults living in the property. If only one person lives in a property you will be entitled to a 25% single person's discount. The following people can also be disregarded for Council Tax purposes:
- Children aged under 18.
- Persons aged over 18 for whom Child Benefit is still payable.
- Certain school and college leavers under the age of 20, who have finished a full-time course between 1 May and 31 October.
- People with severe mental impairment who are entitled to a qualifying benefit.
- Qualifying students.
- Certain non-British spouses or dependants of students.
- Certain youth training trainees under the age of 25.
- Student nurses.
- Certain apprentices.
- Long-term/permanent hospital patients.
- Certain people resident in residential care homes, hostels, nursing homes and mental nursing homes.
- Certain residents of hostels/night shelters for the homeless.
- Most persons in detention.
- Certain care workers.
- Members of religious communities.
- Members of visiting forces and certain dependants.
- Members and dependants of international headquarters and defence organisations.
- Persons with diplomatic privilege or immunity.
Apply for a Council Tax discount
Alternatively, download the Council Tax discount application form (PDF).
There are two other property discounts available in Swindon:
- If a property that requires, or is undergoing, major repair works to render it habitable, or is undergoing structural alterations, a 25% discount can be claimed for a maximum of 3 months. Owners of such properties must advise when works are complete.
- On separately assessed annexes, where the annex is being used either by the resident of the main dwelling or is occupied by a close relative of the Council Tax payer resident in the main dwelling.