Council Tax Support

Backdating claims

You may be able to get Council Tax Support for a period before the date you claim. Reasons for making a backdated claim are:

  • You were ill and had no one to help you make your claim
  • You were told, incorrectly, by an official organisation, that you were unable to claim for Council Tax Support, when in fact you were entitled to do so
  • A close relative had died
  • You were unable to manage your own affairs and had no one to help you
  • You did not claim immediately after leaving hospital, prison, or long term care.

If you think you may be entitled to a backdated claim you must provide proof; e.g. medical certificates, hospital letters.

You must also provide proof of:

  • Your income
  • Your savings
  • How much rent you paid in the period


We can backdate pensioners claims for up to three months before the date when you made your claim, provided that you would have been entitled to claim during those three months.

We will need to see proof of:

  • Your income
  • Your savings if they are £10,000 or more
  • How much rent you paid in the period

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page