Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Updates on council services, health advice, and support available for residents and businesses.

Discretionary housing payments

Discretionary housing payments (DHPs) are given to people who need extra help to pay their rent.

This is because either:

  • the benefit they receive does not cover the whole amount
  • they need help to pay a rent deposit

A DHP may be granted to help people remain in their current home. This is more likely where they have a disability and have adapted their home to meet their own needs. It may also apply to other circumstances where it would be better for them to stay.

For more details, see our DHP policy statement and procedures (PDF).

Who can apply for a DHP

You may be entitled to apply for a DHP if:

  • you are currently claiming Housing Benefit or you are in receipt of housing costs in your claim for Universal Credit and are having problems paying your rent
  • you are moving to smaller or cheaper accommodation and are unable to pay a rent deposit

Apply for a DHP

Apply for a DHP

You can also download and complete a paper DHP application form (PDF).

If you have a Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support claim, this must be correct and up to date before we can make a decision on your DHP request.

You need to provide evidence in support of your application. You should provide as much evidence as possible. If you do not provide details regarding household income, capital and expenditure, your application may be refused. You can send this:

By post:

Swindon Borough Council
(Benefits) Admail 4144

By email:

(Please be aware that e-mail is not a secure form of communication and any e-mail sent to the council is at the individual’s own risk.)

In person:

Customer Services location and opening times

Where a DHP cannot be claimed

We cannot give a DHP to assist with the following:

  • Covering your service charges, which are not covered by Housing Benefit
  • Helping to pay your rent arrears or Council Tax
  • Covering any amount of your Housing Benefit we have taken because your Job Seeker's Allowance has been stopped. This means it was not paid because you have broken the terms of your claim
  • Paying your rent because your benefit claim has been suspended
Give feedback about this page

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?