Care and support for adults in Swindon

We can offer support to adults who live in Swindon and have social care needs that impact their ability to live independently.

Please note - Paying for social care

It's important to understand that social care from any local authority, unlike the NHS, is not free. Please read more about what you might need to pay and make sure you're comfortable with this before contacting us.

Your difficulties might be things like:

  • washing or getting dressed
  • cooking or feeding yourself properly
  • getting in and out of bed
  • moving from room to room
  • using the toilet

If you’re concerned about abuse or neglect, that’s something else. You should report a safeguarding concern if you or another adult you know is experiencing, or is at risk of, abuse or neglect.

Other useful services

Before you get in contact to discuss your care and support needs, you should also consider if any of the services below are more appropriate.

There are many services available that could help with things like:

  • housework
  • cleaning
  • food shopping
  • meals

You can visit our support at home service directory. Here you will find details of organisations that may help you live independently.

If you are worried about yours or someone else’s mental health, you should contact your GP or call NHS Direct.

If you are currently experiencing a mental health crisis or supporting someone in crisis, call the Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust crisis line on 0800 953 1919.

In an emergency, you should dial 999.

Swindon Carers Centre supports unpaid carers with:

  • mutual support, social contact and access to services
  • the Carers Support Line, providing help, guidance and advice to carers in their caring role
  • 1:1 support, a complete carer’s assessment and talk through, either face-to-face or by telephone
  • providing specialist benefit checks, to make sure you and the person you care for are getting the correct level of benefits
  • help accessing funding, if eligible
  • carer groups and activities
  • access to breaks and complementary therapies, training sessions and self-help groups
  • bereavement support following the death of your dependant

You can access these services directly through Swindon Carers Centre.

Live Well Swindon is the first point of contact if you want to make lifestyle changes.

Information, advice and signposting on a range of lifestyle topics is available, such as:

  • being more physically active, weight management
  • stopping smoking
  • connecting to community life; volunteering, befriending for ongoing companionship
  • managing a long term health condition

To find out more, contact the Live Well Hub on 01793 465513 or visit Live Well Swindon Hub. To make a referral, complete the online form below:

Live Well Swindon Hub referral form

Citizens Advice Swindon provides advice on debt, benefits, employment, immigration, legal, consumer issues and much more.

To find out more, contact them on 0344 4994 114 or visit the Citizen Advice Swindon website.

For health services such as compression stockings and eye drops, contact the Community Nursing service or your GP.

Community nurses provide care to patients at home or in residential homes, many of whom have long-term conditions or disabilities. This includes assessment, advice and treatment.

Community nurses will also work with you and your family, often in partnership with other health care professionals.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page