Adult's services complaints

It is important to give feedback to practitioners about your experiences of adult social care. This helps us to know what we are doing well and where we need to improve. You don’t need to make a formal complaint to comment on your experiences.

Feedback can be positive, negative or neutral. Compliments and feedback are just as important as complaints. A complaint can cover any concerns you have about a service or member of staff that have not met the standard you would expect.

All our complaints processes are available to complete online however, there are further options if you can't do it online.

What is adult social care?

Adult social care includes all types of care and support including personal care and other practical help. It is assessed under the Care Act 2014 when a local authority is involved. It also includes care and support arranged and funded privately, and care and support funded by the NHS. It is for people aged 18 and over who need help because of age, illness or disability.

Here are some examples:

  • Provision of equipment
  • Help in your home with daily living
  • Community support and activities
  • Day centres
  • Residential care
  • Home adaptations
  • Information and advice
  • Advocacy
  • Support for carers

Some concerns cannot be taken under the statutory adult complaints process. If this is the case we will advise you and let you know if we can take your complaint under our formal corporate complaints process.

If you are not happy with your care

Tell us as soon as possible and we will try to put things right for you informally.

If you continue to have a problem, you can make a formal complaint to the council. Statutory adult social care complaints follow a two-stage process with a third independent stage through the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

Stage one - local resolution

During Stage one your complaint will be looked at by the manager in the adult social care team that you are complaining about. We will aim to provide you with a response within ten working days. If this is not possible, we will give you an interim response within ten working days that lets you know:

  • where we have got to with investigating your complaint
  • how long we expect the investigation to take and when you will receive a full response

We will keep in touch with you to update you while the investigation is ongoing.

Stage two - escalating your initial complaint 

If you are unhappy or dissatisfied with the outcome to your Stage one complaint and the service manager is unable to resolve your concerns, you are entitled to escalate your complaint to Stage two within 25 working days following your Stage one response.

The person considering the complaint at Stage two will not be the same person that considered the complaint at Stage one.

We aim to acknowledge your complaint within two working days. The complaints manager will contact you and will confirm the associated details. Once the issues of the complaint have been agreed with you, we will ask the relevant service director to investigate and provide a response within 20 working days.

If the complaint is complex, we may need more than 20 working days to respond. If this is the case, then we will provide you with an update on the progress to your complaint and advise you if we need an additional ten working days.

Stage three - Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

If you have been through our complaints procedure and have received a final response and you are still unhappy, you can ask the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (LGSCO) to review your complaint.

The LGSCO investigates complaints in a fair and independent way. It does not take sides. It is a free service.

The LGSCO expects you to have given us a chance to deal with your complaint before you contact them.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable time, it may decide to look into your complaint anyway. This is usually up to 12 weeks but can be longer for social care complaints that follow a statutory process.

Make a complaint, comment or compliment about adult social care services

Make an anonymous complaint

You can also raise an anonymous complaint about adult social care services. We will not take any personal details from you and will be unable to respond.

The adult social care team will review the anonymous complaint and decide whether they can appropriately conduct an investigation into the issues raised.

If you choose to make your complaint anonymously, please be aware that we cannot respond to you or share any findings from the investigation. If you would like a response to your complaint, you should not make it anonymously.

Make an anonymous complaint about adult social care services

Further advice

For further information regarding our complaints procedures, see our customer feedback and complaints handling policy.

You can also contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman for further advice.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page