Emergency housing repairs | Swindon Borough Council
Online applications

Due to a technical problem, you may not be able to upload files if they are needed to support an online application. We are attempting to fix this issue and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Emergency housing repairs

Emergency repairs are for problems in council-owned properties that cause a threat to your safety or security. There is a full list of examples below. If you're requesting an emergency repair, you'll need to call us. You should report other types of repairs online

To request an emergency repair, call 01793 445503. This line is available outside of normal working hours.

The operator will ask some questions about the problem. Please wait for him or her to finish asking these questions, so they can arrange the correct assistance.


If we come to your property to make a repair and find that you are responsible for causing the problem, we will charge for the repair and the call-out. Otherwise, there won't be any charge.

Repairs classed as an emergency

  • Unsecured property
  • Gaining access
  • Dangerous flooring or stairs
  • Total loss of water supply
  • Uncontrollable water leaks
  • Unusable taps in the ‘on’ position
  • Blocked toilet or soil and vent pipe (if it's the only one in the property)
  • Blocked drain (if backing up)
  • Missing inspection chamber covers
  • Severely damaged or dangerous roof
  • Electrics sparking or smoking, or bare wires
  • Total loss of electric power
  • Blocked chimney to an open fire
  • Removal of brick debris or rubble (if a member of the household is elderly or ill)
Was this information helpful?

Help us improve swindon.gov.uk

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.