Tenant scrutiny panel
The Tenant Scrutiny Panel (TSP) is a group of trained volunteer council tenants who review the services delivered by Swindon Borough Council's (SBC) housing departments.
The panel was formed as a result of the Localism Act 2011. This gives social housing tenants new ways of holding their landlords to account.
It works alongside the council's housing team to improve services provided to all council tenants, but is self-determined in its decision making.
The Tenant Scrutiny Panel needs your experience as a tenant to help get it right and new panel members are needed. We are keen to hear from any tenants interested in helping with specific aspects of the housing service.
To find out more, or to have an informal chat with a member of the panel, please email: TSPswindon@outlook.com
What the panel does:
- Scrutinises the housing services we deliver to all tenants
- Gives an independent view of SBC’s housing performance compared to other Local Authority landlords
- Works separately to, and independent of, all other existing tenant groups
- Highlights what SBC's housing teams do well and what they need to improve
- Reports back to tenants, service managers and councillors on recommendations to improve services and implement change
- Networks with other tenant scrutiny panels and housing organisations
- Contributes to and supports the annual report to tenants
- Sit as the tenant complaints panel at the final stage in the council's complaints procedure for housing issues. See also: Complaints and feedback
The panel members all have:
- A genuine interest in helping to improve SBC housing services
- A commitment to attend meetings with other tenants, officers and elected members and to take part in the discussions
- An interest in attending training sessions to develop their individual skills
Skills you will need to be an effective panel member:
- Common sense
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Be able and willing to express views clearly and objectively
- Respect the views of others
- Be able to challenge constructively
In return for your commitment, we will offer you a chance to learn new skills and to be part of the shaping of future services.
We will also reimburse approved out-of-pocket expenses, including travel and childcare.
For more information please contact:
Housing Participation Lead
Tenant scrutiny panel annual report
Our housing service produces an annual support with the assistance of the tenant scrutiny panel.