Legal preliminaries and fees
If you want to get married or commit to a civil partnership in Swindon Registration district, then you must both have lived in any district in England or Wales for seven days before the date you give notice of marriage. It does not matter if either of you move to a different address after the notice has been given.
- Each party of the marriage must give notice of marriage to the Superintendent Registrar in the district in which they reside
- If you both live in the same registration district, two notices have to be given
- If you live in a different registration district from the person you are marrying, you must give notice of marriage at the Register Office in each district
- Each party to the marriage has to give their own notice of marriage. It cannot be given by the other person
- If you live in the same district, it would be helpful if you could both attend together to give your notices
Authority to marry
Once you have given notice, it will be displayed on the notice board for either 28 days or 70 days for all couples wishing to marry, or form a civil partnership, in England and Wales by civil preliminaries. You can collect the authority (or authorities) for the marriage in the district (or districts) in which the notice(s) was given as soon as the waiting period is over.
- The authority is the legal document which allows your marriage to take place
- You must give the authorities to the Superintendent Registrar
- Each authority is valid for 12 months from the date on which the notice was given
|For entering a notice||Not applicable||£35.00|
|Ceremony at the Swindon Registration Office||Monday to Saturday||Variable*|
|For the Superintendent Registrar and Registrar to attend a ceremony at an approved premises||Monday to Thursday||£536.00|
|For the Superintendent Registrar and Registrar to attend a ceremony at an approved premises||Friday||£590.00|
|For the Superintendent Registrar and Registrar to attend a ceremony at an approved premises||Saturday||£650.00|
|For the Superintendent Registrar and Registrar to attend a ceremony at an approved premises||Sundays and Bank Holidays||£705.00|
|Extra copy of certificate||Not applicable||£11.00|
*Fees vary according to the room and facilities used, and the day - please see Swindon Register Office.
Marriages and civil partnerships can take place at Swindon Register Office or at any of the Venues approved for civil marriages.