Converting civil partnerships to marriage

You are now able to convert your civil partnership to marriage, but only if you registered it in England and Wales, or overseas in a consulate or armed forces base (where the civil partnership was registered according to the laws of England and Wales).

The fee for conversion is £45.

You will need to pay the fee:

  • if you registered a civil partnership after 29 March 2014, or plan to register one in the future and then convert it to a marriage
  • from Tuesday, 9 December 2015 onwards - even if you registered your civil partnership before 29 March 2014.

Please note that if you require a marriage certificate, there will be a charge of £11.00 for each copy if ordered at the time of registration. Certificates ordered after that will be subject to an increased fee.

Couples can attend any register office to convert their civil partnership to a marriage by appointment only. It does not need to be in the same district in which the civil partnership was originally formed.

Both partners will need to provide evidence of their identity (eg: passport), and a proof of address. We will also need to see your civil partnership certificate.

A marriage celebration ceremony can follow the conversion in an approved premise of your choice and it does not have to be on the same day. There will be an additional fee for this.

Please contact the Registration Service where we will be happy to discuss your requirements.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page