Arrange a marriage or civil partnership

From 2 December 2019, opposite sex couples will be able to give notice to form a civil partnership. For more information refer to our venue and fee pages or call our office on 01793 522738.

We have a choice of four rooms where marriages and civil partnership ceremonies can be performed at the Register Office. For full details please see Swindon Register Office.

We also offer a number of other venues where marriages and civil partnerships can take place. Please see the venues page for further details.

If you wish to get married in the Swindon registration district within the next 12 months and you live in the district of Swindon, you must give notice of marriage to the Superintendent Registrar.

If you do not live in the district, you may make a provisional booking with the Superintendent Registrar. Confirmation of your booking will be subject to you giving notice of marriage in the district of which you are resident, by the date specified by the Superintendent Registrar.

Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

If one of you is from outside the UK and you are giving notice from 1 July 2021, you and your partner must give notice together, unless you both have one of the following:

  • British or Irish citizenship
  • settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • an application to the EU Settlement Scheme that you made before 30 June 2021, which is awaiting a decision

You must give your notice together at a Register Office in the district where at least one of you lives. If your partner has already given notice separately before 1 July 2021, they will need to give notice again with you.

To book an appointment to give Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership, call 01793 522738.

Provisional bookings

You can provisionally book your marriage if the date you would like is within the next two years and the venue is an approved premises within the Borough of Swindon. This booking can be made in person or by phone and is subject to you giving notice of marriage in your district of residence at the appropriate time.

You will be informed of the date, which notice must be given by the Superintendent Registrar.

For further details, or to discuss and book a venue contact the registration service.

For every booking, a non-refundable deposit of £50 will be required. This will be deducted from the total ceremony cost.

Relevant documentation

Please see the documentation required for marriages and civil partnerships page.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page