Public rights of way

Register of highway and landowner deposits

Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 makes provision for landowners to deposit a statement and map with the highway authority showing the ways upon their land which are acknowledged as public rights of way. Such deposits prevent any further ways upon their land from being dedicated as public rights of way.

On 1 October 2013, the law was changed to allow landowners to prevent any part of their land from being registered as a town or village green. Section 15A(1) of the Commons Act 2006 now makes provision for landowners to deposit a statement and map with the commons registration authority. The effect of the deposit is to bring to an end any period of recreational use by the public ‘as of right’ over the land to which the statement and map relate.

It is now possible for a landowner to submit a single application, on one form, for both types of deposit. The application may be for a single deposit under either S.31(6) (a highway deposit) or S.15A(1) (a landowner deposit) or a joint deposit, combining both.

If you would like to submit an application, please download and complete the form below:

Send your form to:

Rights of Way Mapping Officer
4th Floor Wat Tyler House West
Beckhampton Street
Swindon. SN1 2JH

Tel: 01793 466017

All new applications, whether for a single or joint deposit, will be subject to a fee.

Register of deposits directory

Both Highway and Landowner Deposits (including Joint Deposits) are recorded in the existing register of S.31(6) deposits, which may be found in the Register of Highway and Landowner Deposits directory.

Public notices

When a deposit has been recorded in the directory, notices are posted on the land to which the deposit relates. Current notices may also be viewed in the Register of deposits - public notices list.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page