Apply for a disabled Blue Badge parking permit
Please note: The government has recently announced that there will be significant changes to the Blue Badge scheme from 30 August 2019. These changes will mean the scheme is extended to include people who have less visible disabilities such as autism.
These changes come into effect for applications made after 30 August 2019. Applications made before this date will be considered under current guidelines.
The Blue Badge scheme runs throughout the UK. It gives you additional parking rights if you have mobility problems, or difficulty in using public transport. This makes it easier for you to park close to where you need to go.
You can only apply for a Blue Badge online. If you are unable to apply online, you can make an assisted application at our customer services drop-in centre.
The charge for a Blue Badge is £10. There are other websites offering help to apply for your Blue Badge but they may charge for this service. To avoid paying extra, apply via the online form below.
Before you start
You will need to upload the following documents to support your application when applying for, or renewing, your Blue Badge:
- Proof of address
- Proof of identity
- A digital passport-style photograph
- Supportive evidence, for example, your PIP decision letter or hospital consultants letter
You will be asked to create a My Account in order to access the form.
It usually takes four to six weeks to review your application and make a decision. To make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible, you need to make sure you:
- apply in good time (no more than eight weeks before your existing Blue Badge expires)
- complete the form correctly
- give a full description of your disability
- provide the right documents
When your Blue Badge application has been approved you will receive a request for payment. Once you have paid, you should receive your Blue Badge in the post in five to seven working days.
Further information about your Blue Badge
- If you already have a Blue Badge, you will need to re-apply using the online form above, about eight weeks before it is due to expire
- If you move away from Swindon, you can still use your existing Blue Badge until it expires. When it needs renewing you should contact the new council where you live.
- You can check the Rights and Responsibilities of a Blue Badge holder, including how to use it, on the Government website.
- You can use your Blue Badge throughout the European Union (EU), although the terms may vary between countries. Check EU Blue Badge rules before you go.
- You should not hold more than one valid Blue Badge at any given time or share your Blue Badge with anyone else