Customer complaints, comments and feedback

We genuinely believe that your views are important, and we need you to tell us when a service is failing or something is not right. We will do our best to put things right and prevent them happening again.

Equally, we would like to hear from you about services that are delivered well.

Complaint procedures

Because of their specialised nature, some areas of the Council operate slightly different complaint procedures, these are as follows:

All other complaints are investigated and processed in line with the council's customer feedback policy (PDF). This process involves the following stages:

Stage 1 - Local resolution

Initially, you should complain directly to the people who are responsible for the service(s) you are not satisfied with, either in person, by phone, in writing or by e-mail.

You can also complain to our Customer Services Team at Swindon Direct by completing the online form below:

Customer Services online feedback form

Stage 2 - Referral to service area director

If you are not happy with the response you receive, you can ask to have the matter investigated by the director responsible for the service concerned.

Again, you can register your complaint online:

Customer Services online feedback form

You can also do this in person, by phone, in writing or by e-mail. Please see our contact Customer Services page.

Stage 3 - Referral to the chief executive

If you have been through stages 1 and 2 (above) and are still not satisfied, you can appeal in writing to: 'The Chief Executive' at the following address:

Swindon Borough Council
Civic Offices
Euclid Street

Stage 4 - Council tenants only

This stage relates only to Council tenants where the complaint relates to Housing landlord functions such as rents, property condition and tenancy matters.

If you have exhausted the preceding three complaints stages, you have the right to request that your complaint is reviewed by the Tenant Complaints Review Panel. The Panel will determine whether, in its view, Swindon Borough Council has applied its policies and procedure correctly and whether you have been treated fairly.

The Tenants Complaints Review Panel will only consider complaints made from April 2013.

You may do this once you have received the Chief Executive’s response letter. The Panel will respond to your complaint within 20 working days of receipt. Your request, which must be in writing, may be sent to Janet Regan by e-mail at or by letter to the adress shown in Stage 3. You must include the reasons why you feel your concerns have not been resolved.

Alternatively, you may contact the Housing Ombudsman directly, once 8 weeks has passed from closure of Stage 3. For further information telephone 0300 111 3000 or go to the Housing Ombudsman website.

The local government ombudsman service

If, having exhausted the routes of appeal within our customer complaints handling procedures (Stages 1 to 3 above ... or Stages 1 to 4 above in the case of Council tenant/housing landlord complaints) you are still not satisfied with our response, you may contact the Local Government Ombudsman for an independent review of your complaint.

Send us your suggestions

If you have an idea which you believe will improve a service we provide, we would be delighted to hear from you. We genuinely want to hear constructive ways in which we can improve our services and the best people to ask are those who use them.

You can make a suggestion on line by completing the:

Customer Services online feedback form

If you prefer, you can submit a suggestion in writing when you are visiting any of our sites. Suggestion boxes have been installed in leisure centres, libraries and museums, as well as many of the Council's main reception areas.

You can also telephone or hand complaints to any member of staff at Customer Services

Last updated: 14 June 2016. Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.