Council Tax liability appeals

You can appeal against a decision made by Swindon Borough Council in any of the following circumstances:

  • You disagree that you are the person liable to pay Council Tax 
  • You think your property should be exempt from Council Tax 
  • You think you should be entitled to a reduction for people with disabilities 
  • You think you should be entitled to a personal discount 

Your appeal must be in writing to the Council Tax section (contact details below). It should state the grounds of your appeal and be supported by any relevant evidence or documentation.


If you are still not satisfied with the outcome, or you have not received a reply to your appeal within two months, you have a further right of appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

An appeal to the Valuation Tribunal for England must be made within two months of the Local Authority’s response, or where the Authority does not respond, within four months of the date of your original notice.

Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.