Making deductions for Council Tax payments from salary or benefits

If you are employed and a Court Order (liability order) has been issued against you in respect of unpaid Council Tax, we can ask your employer to make regular deductions from your salary. This will then be paid directly to us. The amount we can deduct from your salary will depend on how much you earn per week or month. Your employer will continue to make deductions until you have paid the outstanding Council Tax.

By law your employer must comply with this 'attachment of earnings order' and may be prosecuted and subject to a substantial fine if they fail to make deductions.

If you are in receipt of Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance or Pension Credit, we can apply to the Department of Works and Pensions for regular deductions to be made from your benefit.

Tables of weekly and monthly deductions

Further information

You should contact us if you have any questions about attachment of earnings or deductions from benefit.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page