Get a copy of a certificate
You can get a copy of a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate by post. A certificate is also known as a certified copy of entry.
What you need to know
- Applying for a copy of a birth certificate is not the same as registering a birth. You receive a birth certificate when you register a birth
- You can apply online or in person. You can't apply by phone
- We can only provide certificates for events that have happened and been registered in Swindon. If the record isn't held by us, we should be able to tell you which register office holds it
- There is a fee for this service, which depends on how quickly you want to receive the copy
- You'll need to provide information in order for us to identify the record you need
Applying in person
You can also apply in person at the register office, where you will completer a paper application form. A member of staff will assist you if necessary.
We will still send the copy certificate by post when you apply in person.
- Normally issued within ten working days
- £11.00 including 2nd class post
- Issued within 24 hours
- Order needs to be received before 3.00pm
- £35.00 including 1st class post
Information you will need to provide
- Full name (including surname)
- Date and place of birth
- Parents' name(s)
- Mother's maiden name (if applicable)
- Full name (including surname) of the deceased
- Date and place of death
Marriage or civil partnership certificate
- Full names (including surnames) of parties to the marriage or civil partnership
- Date and place of marriage or civil partnership
Searching the records
Members of the public are not permitted access to the original records, but can search the indexes of the records held at the Swindon Register Office for a period of six successive hours. If you wish to conduct a general search, please contact the registration service to make an appointment.