Book a visit to the Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC)
Where to go and what you can bring
The address of the Household Waste Recycling Centre is:
Cheney Manor Industrial Estate
Access to the HWRC is from Rodbourne Road (Esso Garage) only. There is currently no access to the site from Akers Way. A diversion route is clearly signposted.
Once you reach the entrance to Cheney Manor Industrial Estate from Rodbourne Road, you will be waved into a filter/holding lane, where we will check your vehicle registration and proof of address.
When you can visit
From Wednesday, 20 May, you can only visit if you have pre-booked. We will be checking bookings have been made before we allow vehicles on site.
The HWRC is open Monday to Friday, 10.00am to 4.00pm.
A limited number of booking slots are set for every 30 minutes. The first slot is at 10.00am, the final slot is at 3.30pm.
You must arrive 30 minutes before your allocated booking slot. If you miss your allocated booking time you will not be permitted entry and will need to re-book.
What you can bring on your essential visit
You can bring the following materials from your home to the HWRC:
- Electrical household products (including fridges and freezers)
- Personal computers
- Scrap metal
- Garden waste
- Plastic bottles
- Batteries (including car batteries)
- Used engine oil
- General household waste
Requirements and charges
Any Swindon resident can use the HWRC to dispose of waste from their homes. This is free most of the time. However, you should be aware of the following requirements and charges:
- Household DIY waste created by a resident is limited to no more than five 25kg bags per vehicle. You must bring waste to the HWRC in sturdy bags so that you can unload them quickly.
- Plasterboard requires specialist disposal, so involves a cost. All plasterboard and mixed waste containing plasterboard will be charged at £3.50 per sheet or 25kg bag for up to five sheets or bags. We charge commercial rates for larger quantities.
- You must put household asbestos in a sealed bag or fully wrapped in plastic sheeting. We won't take asbestos that isn't wrapped in this way. We don't charge for household asbestos waste produced by the householder. See also: Dispose of asbestos safely
- Car and motorcycle tyres from residential premises cost £2.80 per item.
- We accept household chemicals that are in secure, sealed containers.
Controls on vans and trailers
Vans under 3.5 tonnes will use a separate area to dispose of their waste. This is to improve safety and reduce waiting times for people bringing household waste in cars.
We inspect waste brought in a van to make sure that non-household or commercial waste is not being taken to the site. We keep records to monitor compliance.
For general enquiries please contact the StreetSmart team:
- Tel: 01793 445501 (9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday)
- E-mail: email@example.com