Dispose of asbestos safely
Warning - Asbestos is a hazardous waste substance and must only be moved or disposed of under strict health and safety rules.
Disposal at the Household Waste Recycling Centre
- There is a limited amount of free disposal at the HWRC
- You can dispose of domestic, cement bonded asbestos at Swindon Borough Council as it is fully licensed to dispose of asbestos waste
- Please take proof of address to your appointment, for example, a driving license, passport or a recent utility bill
Please make sure you comply with the following:
- You must be a Swindon Borough resident and have proof of residency
- The cement bonded asbestos must be from your property, for example, a shed roof, drainpipes, water tank
- You can bring a maximum of 12 sheets of cement bonded asbestos no bigger than 1.5m x 2.5m (do not break the asbestos to fit these dimensions)
- For disposal, all items of asbestos must be double-wrapped in appropriate materials, (heavy duty plastic or polythene sheeting or bags) and sealed with tape to stop any fibres or dust escaping. Each sealed item must be no heavier than 25kg
- Bring help along if required as staff are unable to assist. You must wear your own protective equipment to dispose of the waste
Failure to comply with any of the points above may result in you not being able to dispose of your asbestos.
If you need to dispose of cement bonded asbestos from a business, or the material has been removed by a builder or any other type of asbestos, the Council is willing to do this. Please see section below or contact a specialist contractor.
Collection and disposal service
We can collect asbestos from your home or business and arrange for it to be disposed of by our specialist staff. If you do deliver asbestos packages yourself, please ask one of the staff at the Household Waste Recycling Centre where it should be deposited.
Collection and disposal charges
- Call out charge of £45.00 per hour
- Legal Consignment Note charge of £25.00
- A charge of £7.90 (including VAT) per item collected
- Items can be wrapped for you for an additional charge which we can discuss when we quote for the work
You can request the collection and/or disposal of asbestos using the online form below. You will be asked to create a My Account before you can complete the form.
When the case has been submitted our agents will call you to arrange a correct quote and discuss any further services that you may need. Our staff will contact you within 48 hours from submission.