How to apply for Housing Benefit, Local Housing Allowance and Council Tax Support

Please note:

With the introduction of Universal Credit you can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit or Local Housing Allowance if you are of state pension age (from 15 May 2019 for couples, both must be of pension age) or living in supported accommodation.

Housing Benefit

If you live in a council or housing association room or property:

  • you could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income
  • Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.
  • you can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working

Find out more and apply for Housing Benefit

Local Housing Allowance

Housing Benefit if you live in a private rented room or property:

  • Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is used to work out how much Housing Benefit you will receive
  • LHA affects tenants who already receive Housing Benefit moving to accommodation owned by a private landlord

Find out more and apply for Local Housing Allowance

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is help towards your Council Tax bill. If you are the person who is liable for the Council Tax bill and you are living on a low income, you can apply for Council Tax Support.

Find out more and apply for Council Tax Support

Do you need help to apply for any of the above?

For more information on the assistance available to you see: Get help to make a benefit claim.

Sending us documents

You can upload documents to support your application via the website.

Send us documents

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page