How to apply for Housing Benefit, Local Housing Allowance and Council Tax Support
If you live in a council or housing association room or property:
- you could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income
- Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.
- you can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working
Local Housing Allowance
Housing Benefit if you live in a private rented room or property:
- Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is used to work out how much Housing Benefit you will receive
- LHA affects tenants who already receive Housing Benefit moving to accommodation owned by a private landlord
Council Tax Support
- Council Tax Support is help towards your Council Tax bill. If you are the person who is liable for the Council Tax bill and you are living on a low income, you can apply for Council Tax Support.
Do you need help to apply for any of the above?
For more information on the assistance available to you see: Get help to make a benefit claim.