The Council's telephone system is currently unavailable

We are currently experiencing some technical issues with our telephone system and apologise for any inconvenience. Please try again later.

Housing benefit


You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income.

With the introduction of Universal Credit , you can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you are either of state pension age or living in supported accommodation or have 3 children or more.

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances. 

You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.

Last updated: 11 May 2017. Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.