Council Tax discounts
Council Tax is based on two adults living in the property. If only one person lives in a property you will be entitled to a 25% single person's discount.
The following people can also be disregarded for Council Tax purposes:
- Children aged under 18.
- Persons aged over 18 for whom Child Benefit is still payable.
- Certain school and college leavers under the age of 20, who have finished a full-time course between 1 May and 31 October.
- People with severe mental impairment who are entitled to a qualifying benefit.
- Qualifying students.
- Certain non-British spouses or dependants of students.
- Certain youth training trainees under the age of 25.
- Student nurses.
- Certain apprentices.
- Long-term/permanent hospital patients.
- Certain people resident in residential care homes, hostels, nursing homes and mental nursing homes.
- Certain residents of hostels/night shelters for the homeless.
- Most persons in detention.
- Certain care workers.
- Members of religious communities.
- Members of visiting forces and certain dependants.
- Members and dependants of international headquarters and defence organisations.
- Persons with diplomatic privilege or immunity.
Complete a council tax discount review
Apply for a council tax discount
Alternatively, download the Council Tax Discount Application Form (PDF)
There are three other property discounts available in Swindon:
- If a property is unoccupied and unfurnished, a discount of 50% can be claimed for up to three months. When the three months period expires, or the property is occupied, the full Council Tax will become payable.
- If a property that requires, or is undergoing, major repair works to render it habitable, or is undergoing structural alterations, a 50% discount can be claimed for a maximum of 12 months. Owners of such properties must advise when works are complete.
- On separately assessed annexes, where the annex is being used either by the resident of the main dwelling or is occupied by a close relative of the Council Tax payer resident in the main dwelling.