Get rid of pests

We do not operate a pest control service however, the following information and advice may assist you.

If you have pests in your home you must seek advice from an approved pest control company. This is so they can assess the situation and advise on the treatment required and determine whether pest proofing is required.

Pests such as rats, mice, bed bugs and cockroaches can be distressing, but pest control treatments can be carried out to eradicate them and works can be completed to prevent access.  

You should always seek a quote from the company you engage in advance of making any booking. 

The British Pest Control Association website (BPCA) enables you to search for companies operating in your area and also provides information and advice on how to eradicate pests yourself.

Other local firms not registered with the BPCA or on their website, may also exist. If you choose to use a firm not approved by the BPCA, make sure you check their references. 

If you are unable to fund the cost of any recommended pest control treatment, you may be able to claim against your home insurance.

Privately rented properties

We may be able to assist if there is a defect in your privately rented home that is causing pests to enter. Defects such as holes around pipework and through external walls, or drainage issues, may be matters we can investigate.

Initially, you must raise any defects in writing to your landlord. If they do not investigate or address any defects, we may be able to assist you. In these circumstances you should raise your concerns through our help and advice page.

Environmental Health Officers can take action against owners of significantly infested property or land, in order to destroy an infestation or otherwise prevent damage from pests.  

If you believe that your problem is a result of a landowner not properly controlling an infestation on their land, contacts us at:

Local authority tenants

If you are experiencing a pest problem and you believe that the infestation was pre-existing before you moved into your property or is a result of a defect in the building that you have previously reported to housing repairs, then we may arrange and pay for pest control treatments and repairs. You can report this by requesting a housing repair.  

In all other cases tenants will be responsible for arranging and paying for pest control treatments that might be necessary.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page