Help and advice for private tenants

COVID-19 guidance for landlords and tenants

During the current pandemic it will be challenging for landlords or property managers to carry out routine management and repair to rental properties. Many of those who live in this accommodation may also struggle to make rent payments.

The Government has recently published non-statutory guidance for both landlords and tenants which provides key information about:

  • possession proceedings that now require at least 3 months’ notice
  • the suspension of current housing possession cases in courts
  • property access and safety

It is paramount that landlords or property managers make themselves familiar with this guidance to ensure that properties continue to be well managed so that tenants can live in safe and suitable accommodation.

COVID-19 and renting guidance at GOV.UK

If your property suffers with defects which lead to significant hazard(s) to your health or wellbeing, we may be able to compel your landlord or agent to remedy them. However, it is important that you follow appropriate steps beforehand, to provide evidence that you have taken suitable action yourself.

This is so that you can protect yourself from potential retaliatory eviction, but it is also good practice and allows us to focus our resources where they are most helpful.  

The following websites and referenced booklet give good practical advice for private tenants with a housing problem. If you have followed this advice and your landlord has not responded to you, or has failed to carry out necessary repairs; then you can ask the council to investigate the matter for you.  

If you wish to complain about the condition of your rented home, please use the online form below. 

We will expect you to upload copies of your letters to your landlord or agent detailing what you feel needs to be done, and copies of their responses to you. We will also need to see a copy of your tenancy agreement. 

If you have these documents and are ready to proceed, please complete the form. In addition, if your landlord uses an agent, you will need to have their details ready too.

You will be asked to create a My Account before you can complete the form.

Private Housing online complaint form

If you do not have facilities to scan and upload the required documents, you can call into Customer Services, Beckhampton Street, Swindon. SN1 2JG and someone will assist you to do this.

Once you have submitted the required documents and completed the form, an Environmental Health Officer will be in touch to discuss your case, usually within 10 working days.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page