Building control information for homeowners
The following pages will show you all you need to know about the building control/building regulations process so you can be certain that your project meets all the legal requirements and your expectations.
What is building regulations approval?
The Building Control Service is here to provide excellent guidance and support to achieve quality design and construction in buildings, in accordance with the Building Regulations and associated legislation.
Building regulations approval is not the same as obtaining planning permission for your work. Planning seeks to guide the way our towns, cities and countryside develop. Building regulations set standards for the design and construction of buildings, ensuring that building work is structurally sound, fire safe and reduces your heating bills.
Do I need building regulations approval?
Building regulations are needed for the construction and extension of buildings. It is a legal requirement, so visit our webpage to check if you need it. If you do need building regulations approval, please go to the apply for building regulations approval webpage. For further information you can read our guidance documents.
Why you should make sure Swindon Borough Council is checking your building regulations?
The Council is one of many providers in the borough that inspects building regulations. Many homeowners will not organise building regulations approval for their project but it is very important you are certain it is done properly, as it may affect the value of your house.
Why choose us for your building control projects?
- Your house could lose value if your project does not have the correct building regulations certification. Make sure your house is properly certified for building regulations by our fully independent surveyors who will always issue a completion certificate upon compliance with the regulations. The Council can provide peace of mind for customers knowing the work has been done correctly.
- Save money - The Council is often cheaper, offering a cost-effective and client friendly alternative to Private Approved Inspectors. Depending on the AI, savings are usually in the range of being 10-20% cheaper.
- The Council is highly experienced and has extensive knowledge. The staff collectively have over 120 years of experience to draw upon, and all have an HNC in construction or higher qualification. Experience includes work on domestic extensions, large commercial office developments and infrastructure projects.
- The Building Control Service makes it easy to apply, and they provide fast access to advice and guidance.
- The Building Control team are experts in providing a proactive service that aims to find solutions to construction challenges.
For more information about building regulations, please contact the Building Control team.