Solar Together

Planning advice for solar panel installation on residential properties

The installation of solar panels (solar photovoltaic systems) will generally not need planning permission. However, there are certain circumstances where planning permission and/or listed building consent is required prior to the installation of solar panels. These circumstances are explained below.


If your property falls within the Swindon Railway Village Area (Swindon railway village article 4 direction) or the Bishopstone Conservation Area (Bishopstone article 4 direction), there are additional planning restrictions known as ‘Article 4 Directions’. This means that planning permission will be required to install solar panels.

If your property is listed, planning permission and Listed Building Consent will be required. Applications affecting listed buildings are subject to additional statutory considerations. See listed building consent information on the Planning Portal for more information.

For installations on buildings

You will need to apply for planning permission if any of the following are true:

  • the equipment would protrude more than 0.2 metres beyond the plane of the wall or the roof slope (when measured from the perpendicular with the external surface of the wall or roof slope)
  • the highest part of the equipment would be higher than the highest part of the roof (excluding any chimney)
  • the equipment would be installed on a wall which fronts a highway in a conservation area or a World Heritage Site
  • the installation site is designated as a scheduled monument
  • the equipment would be installed on a building within the curtilage of a listed building

The following conditions apply:

  • equipment would be sited, so far as is practicable, to minimise its effect on the external appearance of the building, and the amenity of the area
  • when no longer needed, equipment must be removed as soon as is practicable

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page