Apply for a hackney carriage or private hire licence

Important notice

From 1 April 2022, we changed the age limit at which a vehicle can be first licensed from 4 years to 5 years.

When purchasing a vehicle to licence as either a Private Hire or Hackney Carriage, the vehicle can now be under 5 years of age.

We will consider changing the age limit from 5 years to 6 years on 1 September 2022.

These changes are subject to review at any time. Any comments should be addressed to Licensing Manager at

Tax conditionality checks

Please note: As of 6 April 2022, it is a requirement to provide your tax check code when applying to renew your license.

We are responsible for the licensing of all Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Vehicles and their drivers in the Borough of Swindon.

Licensing is in three parts covering the:

  • Hackney Carriage or Private Hire drivers licence
  • Hackney Carriage or Private Hire vehicle licence
  • Private Hire operator’s licence

Licenced vehicles can only be driven by persons holding the correct Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Driver's Licence. It is recommended that the Driver's Licence' is obtained first before the Vehicle Licence.

If you wish to become a licenced individual or company with Swindon Borough Council, to carry out the work of either Hackney Carriage or Private Hire, contact us by email at:

Application forms

Use the relevant form below to apply for the licence you require: 

Licence fees

  • New driver licence - £100
  • New vehicle licence -  £220
  • Operator’s licence for 1-9 vehicles -  £350 for one year or £1,750 for five years
  • Operator’s licence for 10-19 vehicles -  £400 for one year or £2,000 for five years
  • Operator’s Licence for 20+ vehicles - £450 for one year or £2,250 for five years

Hackney Carriage and Private Hire licence renewals

If you wish to renew a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire licence, see the following pages for further details.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page