Apply for a hackney carriage or private hire licence
We are responsible for the licensing of all Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Vehicles and their drivers in the Borough of Swindon.
Licensing is in three parts covering the:
- Hackney Carriage or Private Hire drivers licence
- Hackney Carriage or Private Hire vehicle licence
- Private Hire operator’s licence
Licenced vehicles can only be driven by persons holding the correct Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Driver's Licence. It is recommended that the Driver's Licence' is obtained first before the Vehicle Licence.
If you wish to become a licenced individual or company with Swindon Borough Council, to carry out the work of either Hackney Carriage or Private Hire, contact us by email at: Licensing@swindon.gov.uk
Use the relevant form below to apply for the licence you require:
- Hackney Carriage driver licence application
- Private hire driver licence application
- Private Hire operator’s licence application
- Hackney Carriage vehicle licence application
- Private hire vehicle licence application
- New driver licence - £100
- New vehicle licence - £220
- Operator’s licence for 1-9 vehicles - £350 for one year or £1,750 for five years
- Operator’s licence for 10-19 vehicles - £400 for one year or £2,000 for five years
- Operator’s Licence for 20+ vehicles - £450 for one year or £2,250 for five years
Hackney Carriage and Private Hire licence renewals
If you wish to renew a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire licence, see the following pages for further details.