Apply for a Section 171 licence to place materials on the highway

You need a section 171 licence to place materials or equipment on the highway, including the footway. 

A licence to place materials on the highway costs £105 and is valid for ten days. The fee is non-refundable. To complete the application, you will need to upload a copy of your public liability insurance certificate for at least £10 million. 

It is an offence, under section 171 of the Highways Act 1980, to place materials before the permitted date. Before making an application, you must make yourself familiar with the terms and conditions for this licence. We will charge £75 if we find you in breach of these terms and conditions.

To close or restrict a road, you also need to apply for a temporary traffic regulation order or restriction notice. You need to apply at least 12 weeks before the proposed start date of the works.

A Section 171 licence does not cover placing a skip or erecting scaffolding on the highway. You need to apply separately for a skip licence or scaffolding licence.

Apply for a section 171 licence to place materials on the highway

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page