Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Updates on council services, health advice, and support available for residents and businesses.

Apply for a licence to place scaffolding or hoarding on the highway

You need a licence to place scaffolding or hoarding on the highway. The licence application must be made by the scaffolding or hoarding company. The company must hold Chapter 8 Signing, Lighting and Guarding cards or certificates. We advise you to find a contractor registered on the Buy With Confidence scheme.

You need one licence for each scaffold structure or hoarding you wish to place. For example. you need two licences if you are:

  • placing both scaffolding and hoarding
  • erecting two separate scaffold structures at the same location (one licence for each structure)

A licence costs for scaffolding license is £115 and for hoarding license is £114. We need at least five working days to process an application. In an emergency situation, we may grant a licence in less than five working days at a cost of £141 per license.

A licence is valid for 12 weeks. If you need to place the scaffolding or hoarding for a longer period, you will need to apply for a new licence before your current licence expires.

To place building materials or traffic management on the highway, you also need to apply for section 171 licence

Information for contractors

The safety of all pedestrians and road users is the top priority for us. You must take account of safety when working adjacent to the road or pavement, or any part of the highway.

It is an offence, under section 169 part 5 of the Highways Act, to place scaffolding or hoarding before the permitted date.

Before making an application, you must also make yourself familiar with the terms and conditions for this licence. We will charge £75 if we find you in breach of these terms and conditions. Application fee is non-refundable.

While making an application, you will need to upload a copy of your:

  • public liability insurance certificate for at least £5 million
  • Street Works Qualification Register (SWQR) supervisory card

If you have any query, e-mail

Apply for a licence to place scaffolding or hoarding

Give feedback about this page

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?