Starting a business

Support and advice

If you are starting a new business in Swindon, you have access to a wide range of new business support services:

  • GOV.UK - online guides and tutorials covering key business topics; Contracts Finder; Finance and Business Support finder. Also practical steps to setting up a business - registering, licensing, banking, VAT, NI and employing people. 
  • Growth hub Swindon and Wiltshire Growth Hub connects knowledge, funders, business support and the industry
  • The Prince's Trust helps people aged 18 - 30 (unemployed or working less than 16 hours) with workshops, test trading, financial support and a mentor. Phone 0800 842842
  • Business West represents and works with businesses across the region, delivering a range of support and events
  • Thames Valley Chamber of Commerce
  • The Federation of Small Businesses runs a number of events in Swindon and members can get information such as factsheets on starting and running a business

Business support service

  • If you need start-up advice and are unsure where to go,  contact the business support team on 01793 464747 or email  and a member of our team will be happy to help you.

Licences and permits

Planning permission

  • You might need planning permission or building regulations approval for your business. Visit our planning page for more information.

Business Rates

  • Business rates are charged on commercial properties. Rate relief can be providing to a variety of businesses including eligible small businesses. Find out more on our business rates page.

Business waste and recycling

  • Businesses should either arrange a collection of their rubbish from their premises using a commercial contractor or through the council’s business waste service. For more information about the council’s service visit the Business and commercial waste page

Employing staff

Selling to the council

Tax and National Insurance

Last updated: 05 September 2016. Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.