Starting a business
Support and advice
If you are starting a new business in Swindon, you have access to a wide range of new business support services:
- The Growth hub directs you to a wide range of impartial business support and advice, as well as providing valuable insights, access to events, seminars and training, specialist programmes and funding to help you get your business started and continue to grow. You can access start up advice by calling 01225 402096.
- GOV.UK - online guides and tutorials covering key business topics; Contracts Finder; Finance and Business Support finder. Also practical steps to setting up a business - registering, licensing, banking, VAT, NI and employing people.
- Business West support people to Start a business. Whether you’ve got a business idea that you would like to explore further, or you’ve been trading for up to a year, we can help you gain the advice, knowledge and funding needed to improve your chances of success. From one-to-one support, to workshops, to helping you apply for a start-up loan, we are here to help.
- Thames Valley Chamber of Commerce Group works with micro to multinational organisations, driving better economic conditions and new opportunities for members and the wider community. Aspiring to be a leading voice of business in the Thames Valley, including Swindon.
- The Federation of Small Businesses runs a number of events in Swindon and members can get information such as factsheets on starting and running a business
- The Prince's Trust helps people aged 18 - 30 (unemployed or working less than 16 hours) with workshops, test trading, financial support and a mentor. Phone 0800 842842
Licences and permits
- You may need a licence or permit to run your business. Visit the Licences and Permits page for more information.
- You might need planning permission or building regulations approval for your business. Visit our planning page for more information.
- Business rates are charged on commercial properties. Rate relief can be providing to a variety of businesses including eligible small businesses. Find out more on our business rates page.
Business waste and recycling
- Businesses should either arrange a collection of their rubbish from their premises using a commercial contractor or through the council’s business waste service. For more information about the council’s service visit the Business and commercial waste page
- Get information on training staff on our skills page. The GOV.UK website can also offer advice on employing staff for the first time.
Selling to the council
- Find out more about selling to Swindon Borough Council.
Tax and National Insurance
- The HMRC online learning course for people starting their own business can help with questions about tax, National Insurance, business records and expenses
Business support service
- If you need start-up advice and are unsure where to go, contact the business support team at: email@example.com and a member of our team will be happy to help you.