Managing your business or commercial waste
All businesses and charitable organisations produce waste and have a legal responsibility to ensure that all waste is produced, stored, transported and disposed of without harming the environment. This is your Duty of Care in accordance with Section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
Business or commercial waste is:
- anything your business owns, produces or acquires that needs to be removed or thrown away
It also includes:
- waste produced while working at private households
- waste produced by contractors working on your business premises
- home-based working, for example, childminding.
Any waste produced by business activities is classed as business waste and must be kept and collected separately to household waste.
Arranging disposal of your business or commercial waste
- The council does not offer a business or commercial waste collection service
- Business or commercial waste collection is not included in your business rates
You must therefore pay for your waste to be removed from your premises by a licenced waste contractor. Contractors will collect and dispose of your waste and recycling but they vary in terms of costs, what they collect, the areas they cover and the recycling and disposal options they can offer.
What you should do
- Check that any waste contractor you use is registered with the Environment Agency as a waste carrier
- Complete waste transfer notes for all waste collected or received by your waste carrier
- Keep your waste transfer note paperwork for two years
- Store your waste appropriately
What you should not do
- Give your waste to an unlicensed contractor. If your waste is disposed of illegally and you do not have a valid waste transfer note, it is your responsibility and you can be fined.
- Dispose of your waste along with your household waste either through kerbside collections or household recycling centres as you will be committing an offence
- Assume that the law does not apply to your business. The law applies to all businesses, large and small.
Household waste recycling centre (HWRC)
For information on bringing business or commercial waste (including waste from charitable organisations) to the HWRC, email firstname.lastname@example.org. The maximum vehicle weight is 3.5 tonnes.