Buy a copy certificate
The Superintendent Registrar has custody of all the completed registers of births, marriages and deaths in the Swindon district since 1837, and has the responsibility for supplying applicants with certificates (certified copies of entries) on request, providing that enough information is given for the required entry to be identified.
How to apply
You can order birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates online but only for events that have happened and have been registered in Swindon:
You can write to us with full details of the certificate you require, and enclose the correct payment.
- If you have given us enough information to trace the record, and it is held in Swindon, the certificate will normally be issued within 5 working days of the application being received
- Standard service will be issued and posted 2nd class
- Priority service will be issued within 24hours and posted 1st class
You can also apply in person by completing an application form. A member of staff will assist you if necessary.
- Standard service is normally issued within five working days
- Priority service will be issued within 24hours
- If the record you have applied for is not held in Swindon, we will tell you which register office holds it
|Type of service||Fee per certified copy|
|Standard service||£11.00 including 2nd class post|
|Priority service (orders before 3.00pm)||£35.00 including 1st class post|
Information you will need to provide
In order for us to identify the correct entry, also provide as much information as possible.
|Type of certificate||Information required|
Searching the records
The public are not permitted access to the original records but can search the indexes of the records held at the Swindon Register Office for a period of six successive hours. If you wish to conduct a general search, please contact us to make an appointment.