Buy a copy certificate
The Superintendent Registrar has custody of all the completed registers of births, marriages and deaths in the Swindon district since 1837, and has the responsibility for supplying applicants with certificates (i.e. certified copies of entries) on request - providing that enough information is given for the required entry to be identified.
How to apply
You can order birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates online but only for events that have happened and have been registered in Swindon:
You can write to us with full details of the certificate you require, and enclose the correct payment.
- If you have given us enough information to trace the record, and it is held in Swindon, the certificate will normally be issued within 5 working days of the application being received.
- Certificates can be posted to you by First Class Post.
You can also apply in person by completing an application form. A member of staff will assist you if necessary.
- Certificates are normally issued within 3 working days.
- There is a Fast Track service for certificates which can be provided an hour after ordering. There is an additional £25 fee, which must be paid in advance.
- We also offer a 24 hour service for which the additional fee is £15 and again must be paid in advance
- Both of these services are available to personal callers only
- If the record you have applied for is not held in Swindon we will tell you which register office holds it.
Certain original documents are provided free of charge (for details please see Birth Registration, Marriages and Civil Partnerships and Death Registration), but there is a charge for further certified copies of certificates.
The fees are set by Parliament and change on 1 April each year, and they vary depending on when they are requested.
|Time of request||Fee per certified copy|
|On the day of registration||£4.00|
|After the day of registration and while the register is still open*||£7.00|
|After the register is closed or the civil partnership has been registered||£10.00|
*For recent events, please contact us to check whether your entry is in a current or closed register.
Information you will need to provide
In order for us to identify the correct entry, please also provide as much information as possible.
|Type of certificate||Information required|
Searching the records
The public are not allowed access to the original records but can search the indexes of the records held at the Swindon Register Office for a period of six successive hours. If you wish to conduct a general search, please contact us to make an appointment.