Food waste collections
How the service works
Households (other than flats) have two caddies:
- a five litre caddy for indoors
- a larger 23 litre caddy for outdoors
You can put food waste loose in caddies, or you can use a biodegradable or compostable caddy liner.
Here's what to do:
- Transfer food waste from your plates or preparation area to your indoor caddy
- When your indoor caddy is full, empty the contents into your outdoor caddy
- Place your outdoor caddy at the closest point to the public highway on your collection day
If you live in a flat or communal residency, you will have an indoor five litre caddy only. When your caddy is full, you should dispose of its contents in the large food waste bin in your communal bin store.
How to present your food waste for collection
We collect food waste for recycling every week. You should leave your outdoor caddy outside your property by 6.30am on your collection day at the closest point to the public highway.
Your collection day is the same day we collect your black wheelie bin or blue bags.
You need to make sure the lid of your caddy is shut and in the locked position before putting it out for collection. You indoor and outdoor caddies both lock shut when you pull the handle forward.
What goes in your caddies?
- Food leftovers and plate scrapings
- Dairy products
- Tea bags and coffee grounds
- Meat and fish (no bones)
- Raw and cooked food
- Fruit and vegetables
- Bread, cakes and pastries
- Grains and pulses (including rice, pasta and beans)
- Out-of-date ready meals removed from all their packaging
- Cooking oil, lard and fats
- Pumpkins (please place the insides of the pumpkin in the caddy, remove any decorations from the pumpkin and place it on top of, or to the side of the outdoor caddy)
- Animal waste
- Pet bedding (hay and straw)
- Nappies and sanitary products
- Food packaging
- Garden waste (leaves, flowers and grass cuttings)
As an alternative to having food waste collected, you could consider producing your own compost from food waste. You can purchase compost bins at most large supermarkets or DIY and hardware stores.
If you believe we have missed a food waste collection, you can report it to us:
Lost, stolen or damaged food caddy
You can order a replacement indoor or outdoor food caddy if yours is lost, stolen or damaged.
You can also request an additional outdoor food caddy if you have too more food waste than the capacity of one caddy every week.
Find out if your home is in the trial
You can use our tool to find out whether or not we'll be collecting food waste from your home during the service trial period: