Dealing with debt

Maximising your income

Increasing your income, even by small amounts, can make a big difference to your situation. Below are some ideas you can consider to help you increase your income:

Check your benefits

Some estimates suggest that in the UK upwards of £15bn goes unclaimed in benefit payments that people are entitled to.

It’s important to check that you are receiving all the benefits that you are entitled to. You can do this by using the Citizen Advice free benefits checker.

This will quickly and easily identify any benefits you can claim to help increase your income and improve your situation.

If you want further help to understand and use the calculators or would simply like to discuss your benefits situation with someone you can contact Swindon Citizens Advice.

Get a second job

Could you look for an additional job where you work part time? Or maybe you could try to increase your hours at work? This isn’t always easy, but even working an extra hour or two a week can provide you with income to help pay your household bills.

It’s ok to ask for board money

If you’ve got adult children living with you, ask them to make payments towards the cost of running the home to cover such things as food, utilities and council tax. You may also wish to consider asking for an amount to help cover your rent or mortgage.

Check your income tax code

Make sure that you're paying the right amount of tax. Check your tax code and make sure that you’re claiming any Working Tax credit you're entitled to. Find out more about Working Tax Credit.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page