Fleming Way Bus Boulevard scheme
We are working on the redevelopment of Fleming Way as part of the town centre regeneration. Whilst the scheme is currently subject to the awarding of funding, we have completed the first draft of the detailed design of an exciting new bus interchange for the town centre.
The Fleming Way Bus Boulevard aims to create one inclusive bus interchange that will accommodate all bus services in the town centre. This will mean that all buses, currently operating from Swindon bus station and from Fleming Way will, in future, leave from a single site.
An animation of the scheme can be viewed below:
Key elements of the scheme include:
- the removal of the subway near Debenhams and H&M to make Fleming Way the same level as the town centre shopping area and The Parade. The subway will be replaced with a large pedestrian crossing, controlled by traffic lights.
- improving the connectivity of the town centre shopping area with the railway station and the business districts to the north of Fleming Way
- the provision of a new cycle facility on Fleming Way to connect the town’s western and eastern cycle routes
- the addition of more pedestrian crossings along Fleming Way to improve movement between the town centre and railway station
- allowing access for buses, taxis and cycles only along Fleming Way between the Whalebridge junction and Milford Street
- the demolition of The Parade multi-storey car park on John Street (behind the H&M store), so the space can be included in the scheme
- the provision of a ‘hub’ at the western end of the scheme (currently Cheltenham Street car park), for the inter-urban bus and coach services (National Express and Oxford and Salisbury services)
- the introduction of more greenery to Swindon town centre by planting more trees and ‘bee-friendly’ plants. This will increase biodiversity and create a more pleasant environment.
- the introduction of new custom-made bus shelters which will be unique to Swindon. These will contribute to the greening up of the bus boulevard.
- removing the ageing bus station to make the land available for development within the Kimmerfields site, to build new homes and offices
General arrangement drawings
The following conceptual drawings outline the area of the proposed Bus Boulevard on Fleming Way:
- Landscaping overview (PDF)
- Landscaping - west (PDF)
- Landscaping - east (PDF)
- Temporary bus station (PDF)
Feedback and questions
We hope that you have found this information useful. However, if you have any questions about this scheme, you can contact us at: email@example.com