Coate roundabout improvement works
Work to improve Coate roundabout and the surrounding area started in April 2023 as part of the Challenge Fund Key Routes East highways maintenance programme, and is expected to finish towards the end of this year.
Our construction contractor, Wills Bros Civil Engineering UK Ltd, began work on 28 March 2023, and have been progressing with pace over the Spring and Summer.
As part of this programme, funded through the Department for Transport to address highway infrastructure improvements along key routes in the east of Swindon, several improvements have been identified at the Coate roundabout area.
- waterproofing of Coate bridge – next to Coate roundabout (eastbound carriageway only, towards Commonhead roundabout)
- upgrading the traffic signals on Coate roundabout
- closure of the two subways under Queens Drive and Marlborough Road
- the installation of a new toucan crossing, footway and cycleway links on Queen's Drive
- resurfacing patches along Queens Drive adjacent to the new toucan crossing
- resurfacing patches along Marlborough Road between Commonhead roundabout and Coate roundabout
To reduce the cost, increase efficiency and reduce the disruption to the network, these works have been combined to form one contract.
While the majority of the works will be completed using lane closures, there will be times when overnight road closures will be required to ensure the safety of the work team and the public. Please see below for information regarding these upcoming closures.
A speed restriction will be in place during this programme for the safety of the work team.
All closures will be communicated ahead of time, including with local businesses.
Emergency vehicles will be given priority access through the works at all times.
There will be changes to the pedestrian routes around the roundabout during the course of the works, which will be clearly signed.
Resurfacing overnight road closures
- Marlborough Road (between Commonhead and Coate roundabouts – sections)
- Queens Drive (adjacent to Coate roundabout – approach to the new crossing)
As part of the project, we will be completing some resurfacing maintenance along the road in certain patches. The resurfacing works are due to be completed overnight between 8.00pm and 6.00am and will be completed under road closures, where one side of the road will be closed at a time.
The works will be dependent on weather. If there is any change to the running programme, the advance warning signage on site will be updated accordingly.
Emergency services will be permitted access at all times, however residents will be directed via location diversion routes. The agreed works areas and associated diversion route can be viewed in the document below.
Local businesses and GW Hospital have been informed of the closures, along with the bus companies. Advance signage will be put up and letters will be sent to residents who live close to the scheme.
Closure dates are as follows:
- 18 to 20 July - adjacent to Dayhouse Lane (Marlborough Road between Coate and Commonhead roundabouts)
- 20 to 27 July - Great Western Hospital junction (Marlborough Road between Coate and Commonhead roundabouts)
- 20 to 27 July - Commonhead Rbt exit (Marlborough Road between Coate and Commonhead roundabouts)
- 28 to 31 July - Opposite Woodbine Terrace (Marlborough Road between Coate and Commonhead roundabouts)
- 1 and 2 August - Queens Drive approach to the new crossing on both sides of the road
- 22 August (into the morning of 23 August at 6.00am) - Coate bridge exit off Coate roundabout (Marlborough Road between Coate and Commonhead roundabouts)
You can sign up to our Highways newsletter, for three-weekly updates on progress and any proposed changes to traffic and pedestrian management.
The two subways at Coate roundabout were identified for closure with a new replacement signalised crossing installed in their place in line with the Council’s strategy.
The completion of the scheme will see both subways closed to the public, with a new signalised toucan crossing being constructed on Queens Drive.
The existing crossing on Marlborough Road will remain in place, providing a crossing point in this location.
We consulted with local residents on the proposal of these closures in February and March 2021 and March 2022, and subsequent Cabinet Member decision notes were approved prior to the progression of the scheme.
This project has been identified in order to improve pedestrian and cyclist movement in the area. The existing subways are narrow, poorly designed and dimly lit, meaning they do not offer an attractive route to encourage safe and frequent use by pedestrians and cyclists.
The new crossing facility will provide a safer and improved route, as well as offering improvements to the footways and cycleways in the area. This work will also include the widening of the central reservation and realignment of the exit kerb line from Coate roundabout onto Queens Drive, to meet current standards.
The layout of the new crossing at Coate Water roundabout, along with details regarding the other maintenance works being completed as part of this project, are detailed below:
- Coate roundabout - location plan and scheme extents
- Coate bridge waterproofing location
- Queens Drive crossing general arrangement - Sheet 1
- Queens Drive crossing general arrangement - Sheet 2
- Queens Drive crossing general arrangement - Sheet 3
- Coate roundabout - alternative crossing routes
- Coate roundabout - road closure locations and diversion route
If you have any questions or queries, e-mail: email@example.com