Town centre regeneration

Town centre projects

Revitalising the town centre is one of six priorities outlined in our economic strategy for Swindon. In order to achieve positive change, the Town Centre Masterplan sets out proposals for further investment in high quality development, public realm and infrastructure. The Masterplan identifies the key projects, which together will make Swindon town centre a more attractive, successful and competitive town centre.

The regeneration of the town centre presently focuses on a number of schemes running from the town’s historic Railway Heritage Quarter to the train station, and then along Fleming Way to Kimmerfields, next to the new Zurich headquarters.

We have successfully obtained government funding for the majority of these schemes and it is hoped this will act as a catalyst for investment in the retail heart of the town centre, whilst reconnecting it to its unique heritage and excellent transport links.

Further detail on the town centre projects can be found on the following webpages:

  • Fleming Way Improvements – including creating a new bus interchange, new cycle and pedestrian routes
  • Kimmerfields regeneration site – bringing a 20-acre brownfield site back into productive use, encompassing Zurich’s new offices and plans to create a new Cultural Quarter
  • Swindon Heritage Action Zone ‘The Works’ – protecting, enhancing and promoting the area around Swindon’s historic railway village
  • The Carriage Works – revitalising and bringing all of Brunel's Grade II-listed former Carriage Works into productive use to benefit the town centre and wider economy 
  • The Health Hydro – refurbishing a unique leisure and heritage attraction to draw people into Swindon’s town centre

Town Centre projects map

Image showing different areas where the council-led town centre regeneration projects will take place

Town Centre Movement Strategy

Adopted by Cabinet in March 2020, the Town Centre Movement Strategy sets out a package of transport interventions (schemes) that will deliver improvements to movement into and within the town centre.

Further details can be viewed on the Town Centre Movement Strategy webpage.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page