Small business rate relief
You are entitled to small business rate relief if:
- your property’s rateable value is less than £51,000
- you are not entitled to any other rate relief
This means we would calculate your business rates bill using the lower small business rates multiplier instead of the standard multiplier.
In addition, if your sole or main property has a rateable value of less than £15,000, you can receive a percentage reduction in your rates bill for this property of up to a maximum of 100%.
This percentage reduction is only available if you occupy either:
- a property with a rateable value of less than £15,000, or
- a main property with a rateable value of less than £15,000 and other additional properties, providing those additional properties each have a rateable value of less than £2,900. The combined rateable value of all the properties must not exceed £19,999. Relief is only applied to the main property.
Notification of changes
A condition of entitlement to small business rate relief will be that a ratepayer must notify the council of changes that may affect the entitlement.
These changes are:
- an increase in the rateable value of a property, which is not in the area of the billing authority granting small business rate relief
- a ratepayer taking occupation of an additional property