Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Updates on council services, health advice, and support available for residents and businesses.

Rural rate relief for businesses

Certain types of property in a rural setting, with a population below 3,000, may be entitled to rural rate relief.

These include:

  • the only general store, post office or food shop (with a rateable value of less than £8,500).
  • the only public house or petrol station (with a rateable value of less than £12,500).

An eligible ratepayer is entitled to relief at 50% of the full charge. The local council also has discretion to give further relief on the remaining bill. The property must be occupied.

In addition, the local authority can give relief on other occupied rural property, where the rateable value is less than £16,500.

Apply for rural rate relief

If you believe you qualify for rural rate relief, you can apply by completing the following form:

Please note: The application form must be accompanied by a copy of your latest audited accounts.

Give feedback about this page

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?