Website maintenance - Wednesday, 19 May 2021

Our website will be down for essential maintenance between 8.00pm and midnight on Wednesday, 19 May 2021. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

Business rates on unoccupied properties

You will normally be exempt from paying business rates on empty property after it becomes vacant. Liability for business rates starts again after the property has been empty for the following periods of time:

  • three months for shops and offices
  • six months for factories and warehouses

After these 'empty property periods', rates are charged at 100% of the full rate bill.

Exemptions from empty property rates

There are certain exemptions from empty property rates, these are:

  • where occupation is prohibited by law
  • where a property is kept empty due to action taken by or on behalf of the Crown or any local or public authority with a view to prohibiting occupation
  • where the building is listed, or where the building is the subject of a building preservation notice or is scheduled as an ancient monument
  • where the rateable value is less than £2,900
  • where the person entitled to possession of the property is acting in the capacity as a personal representative of a deceased person. Or as a liquidator or as a trustee under a deed of arrangement or where the owner is the subject of bankruptcy proceedings.
  • where properties are owned by charities or community amateur sports clubs, who last used the property

Partly occupied property relief

A ratepayer is liable for the full non-domestic rate whether a property is wholly occupied or only partly occupied. Where a property is partly occupied for a short time, the local authority has discretion in certain cases to award relief in respect of the unoccupied part. Contact us for full details.

Give feedback about this page

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?