Report bright artificial light disturbance

A certain amount of bright light is normal however, excessively bright and badly positioned light, especially between the hours of 11.00pm and 7.00am, can become a nuisance. If you have concerns about artificial bright light affecting your property, you can report it to our Environment Health Officers.

We can only consider complaints where light is spilling from one premises onto another. We cannot help with excessive light from the following:

  • Airports
  • Harbours
  • Railway premises
  • Tramway premises
  • Bus stations and associated facilities
  • Public service vehicle centres
  • Goods vehicle operating centres
  • Lighthouses
  • Prisons
  • Military or defence establishments
  • Public areas like roads or parks

Keeping a record of bright artificial light disturbance

You will need to complete a record of the light disturbance and how it affects you. An information and diary sheets pack to record your issues is available to download below:

You should follow the instructions in the pack, and complete the diary sheets for a period of three weeks before submitting your complaint using the online form below. We cannot investigate your complaint without these.

Resolving the problem yourself

In most cases, talking to your neighbour or the business involved will resolve the problem. In a small number of cases however, we may need to serve formal warnings or notices, or carry out more serious actions. You may be asked to be a witness in these investigations and this may take a number of weeks or months to complete.

Report a bright artificial light disturbance

If you have already tried to resolve the issue yourself and have completed diary sheets for a period of at least three weeks, you should complete and submit the following online form and upload your completed documents:

Report an artificial light nuisance online

Once we have received all the relevant information, we will contact you within 5 working days.  

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page