Councillors complaints procedures
Members code of conduct
The Council adopted a new Code of Conduct (PDF) for Members and Co-opted Members of the Council which came into effect on 1 July 2012. The Swindon Borough Council’s Standards Committee is responsible for considering written complaints in respect of complaints that:
- Elected or co-opted Members of Swindon Borough Council have breached the Council’s Members' Code of Conduct
- Elected or co-opted Members of a Parish or Town Council in the Swindon Area have breached their Parish or Town Council Members' Code of Conduct.
How to make a complaint
If you wish to submit a complaint (as described above), you should complete the complaints form (PDF) and send it together with relevant supporting evidence to Swindon Borough Council’s Monitoring Officer at the contact address below.
- The Standards Committee can only deal with complaints about the alleged behaviour and conduct of Councillors and will not deal with complaints about any of the Council’s departments, paid employees or matters not covered by the Council’s Members' Code of Conduct.
- All complaints must be made in writing and where possible with 28 days of the alleged breach. If you are writing a letter or sending an e-mail, please ensure that you use the Complaints Form as a guide to the cover all of the details required.
- If you are unsure about any aspect of the process or need general advice, please contact the Council’s Monitoring Officer before submitting a complaint.
Procedure for considering complaints and sanctions
The procedure for dealing with complaints document (PDF) contains details of the procedure and assessment criteria that the Standards Committee will follow in considering complaints, and the potential sanctions available to the Standards Committees following a hearing if a Member is found to have breached the Code of Conduct.
Contact Monitoring Officer
Mr Stephen Taylor (Monitoring Officer)
Swindon Borough Council
SN1 2 JH
Tel: 01793 463012
Fax: 01793 463366