Mead Way improvements
Mead Way was re-opened to traffic on Tuesday, 30 November 2021.
What improvements have been made?
- An additional lane has been built going northbound from Meads roundabout (on Great Western Way) to Withymead roundabout (by Simply Gym and Kidz About)
- Mead Way was resurfaced between Meads and Withymead roundabouts
- The roundabout at Westmead Drive and Stonehill Green junction has been converted into a signalised crossroad junction with a toucan crossing for pedestrians to cross Westmead Drive
- As part of the widening, we will also be improving some of the safety features above the subway
- Street furniture will be replaced and street lighting will be upgraded to be more energy efficient. A replacement bus shelter will also be incorporated.
When did the work start?
The work started for Phase 1 on 1 March 2020 and the contractor, Britannia Construction Ltd, completed this first phase of improvements, from the Meads roundabout to Westmead roundabout, in March 2021.
Britannia Construction Ltd started work on Phase 2 of improvements from Westmead roundabout to Withymead roundabout in January 2021.
No extra borrowing is required for these shortfalls as the funding is covered by Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
The documents below provide further information on the planned improvement work:
The bid for this work was supported by the Swindon and Wiltshire Local Enterprise Partnership, and by both of Swindon’s Members of Parliament.
If you wish to contact the Mead Way project team for further information, or to provide any feedback, you can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can sign up to monthly updates on the scheme via the Mead Way newsletter. Previous editions of the newsletter can be found below:
- Mead Way newsletter - November 2021
- Mead Way newsletter - October 2021
- Mead Way newsletter - September 2021
- Mead Way newsletter - July 2021
- Mead Way newsletter - June 2021
- Mead Way newsletter - May 2021
- Mead Way newsletter - April 2021
- Mead Way newsletter - March 2021
- Mead Way newsletter - February 2021